History

The Church of St John Frieth School

The Church of St John, Frieth School and the Village Hall border the village green forming the centre of Frieth. The Church was built in 1848 and the School in 1865. Initially the School was used by children during the day and as a village meeting place during the rest of the week.

Frieth Village Hall

In 1897, the local furniture firm of West and Collier donated a plot of land and work started on the ‘Village Institute’. The Cripps family had always taken a benevolent interest in the village, and Mr.C.A.Cripps (later Lord Parmoor) paid for the building in memory of his wife who had recently died. The final act in giving the Hall to the village occurred on February 16th 1899 with a deed of Trust giving the freehold of the land to the village and setting up Trustees and a management committee.

Originally the Hall was divided into two rooms by a moveable wooden partition between the two doors. One end was used for The Men’s Reading Room and the other for Women’s Meetings. There was an open fireplace at each end with fuel, furniture, and kitchen utensils paid for by public subscription.

Frieth Village Hall

Over the years, there has been a doctor’s surgery, badminton club, pigeon show, concerts, barn dances, exhibitions and fitness classes. Many local organisations and private individuals have used the Hall and it continues to provide a venue for meetings and social events which otherwise would not be possible in the village.

Frieth Village Hall

It was in the year 2000 that the Village Hall Committee, with village support, decided on major development to improve and increase the facilities. Significant funding was secured from the National Lottery Community Fund, the District and Parish Council and from local appeal. The development, which carefully conserved the original style whilst providing modern facilities, was completed in 2003.